Forms of hosting services
A hosting solution refers to depositing and/or sharing specific content on a web server hosted by a web hosting company. There are various kinds of hosting services used for different aims, so let's take a glimpse at these. Thus, you can choose what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to launch a web site, email addresses, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service supplied by certain firms, which lets you share enormous files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free file storage services are often supported by displaying adverts beside the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular period of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a totally improper interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would divide the load between independent stacks of servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different web page hosting services (mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some companies offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting type is good if you would like to share a huge quantity of images with comrades or colleagues since the solution is generally free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to administering your mails. Some vendors offer webspace hosting services for web sites, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you desire to create a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to own a website, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can create e-mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a few videos and several hundred site visitors, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting resources. Embedding the video file will permit you to administer as many videos as you want to without bothering about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you desire to own a web site. To some extent, it embodies all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and email accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Free Hostia, for example, you can see web hosting and dedicated web hosting accounts that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be restrictions depending on the type of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting account may be better or worse juxtaposed to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are designed for specific content only.